Thursday, April 14, 2011

6 months

So much has changed since my last post. I keep telling myself I need to post more often, but do I? Nooooo

Our big boy is half of a year old! It's hard to believe that he's that big already. He is going in for his 6 month doctor's appointment tomorrow and we're actually looking forward to seeing his measurements and how much he's grown. At his 4 month visit I took his temp at Pamela's and then gave him tylenol and that really did the trick. He cried a little but fell alsleep in the car on the way home and wasn't hardly fussy at all that night. That's what we plan on doing tomorrow. We are actually using the doctor that came to visit us in the hospital when I was having such a hard time with him being in the NICU

Lots of developmental milestones have been met since my last post. At 4 1/2 months old he rolled over! He pretty much mastered the rolling from stomach to back skill and he rolled from back to front the very next day he started rolling over- but he did it without us realizing it. We laid him on his jungle mat and left the room for a little while...came back and he was on his stomach! He rolled without us even seeing it! It's amazing how milestones can be reached just like that. He's been such a rolly boy since. It's funny how you can put him on his back and a minute later he's on his belly making grunting noises. Just here recently, he's started getting from a laying down position to sitting up. He's so strong and any day now will be able to sit up on his own. He can steady himself for a while without support, so I'm not sure what qualifies as sitting up on his own or not.

He took a spill the weekend he started rolling over- so to me it was a while ago. He fell out of his swing- i guess he wasn't buckled in very well and just toppled out. He wailed, but we didnt go to him right away because he had been teething that weekend and we thought that was why he was crying..WRONG. By the time we checked on him, he was over it and laying on the ground. I really wanted to talk him to the ER and Dave told me I was over reacting. I guess I was because he was fine. We researched online to see what  I should watch for. I felt like such a bad mother that day... it's hard to find that fine line between not being neglectful and also not coming at every cry. Although a falling out of the swing cry vs a teething cry sound very similar!

As far as breast feeding goes, we have been trudging by. He isn't spitting up as badly anymore. I am still trying to keep dairy intake at a minimum. I haven't had a bowl of cereal in god knows how long, I do eat ice cream every once in a while and when I do I usually pay the price with spitting up. I'm not sure why all of a sudden he has decided to behave with his spitting up...the only thing I absolutely cannot give up dairy wise is cheese. He would just have to live with spitting up if I had to quit eating cheese. You don't think about it until you actually have to start cutting it out of your diet.

Eating solids have been going very well. He absolutely LOVES mac and cheese. He usually eats a whole stage 2 container and part of another one every day. He still hasn't learned when to turn away from a spoon when he's full though- he'll eat and eat from the spoon til you get tired of feeding him. We've been introducing sign langage to his vocabulary. I had to really get Pamela on board since she's around him all day while we are at work. He's been watching his "baby signing time" DVD and David gets so irritated by the songs they sing. I think persistance is key with it, even though it feels like he doesn't understand what the hell we are doing with our hand gestures. I think it'll be a good thing.

Tomorrow Caleb is going to his first birthday party. Well, we all are. Two of his cousins have birthdays in April and we are having a joint pool party for them tomorrow. Jackson turned 7 on April fools day and Kennedy turns 10 today (hard to believe!). We're going to meet a hotel tomorrow and we get to experience what Caleb's first pool experience is!It's going to be interesting because he gets his shots right before we go to Lexington for that get-together. And with taking no nap. I may be a little crazy putting everyone through that. But what can you do? You can;t just not have a life just because you have a baby- right?

So april fools day was a HOOT. I played the best trick ever on Dave. Christine here at work peed on a stick (shes pregnant) and I took it home and told Dave I might be pregnant. When he encouraged me to pee on a stick I took out Christine's positive test, showed it to him and he had a surprise of a life time. It was a good test to see how he would really react to being pregnant so soon after giving birth. He looked pretty damn nervous- happy- but nervous and actually wanted me to take a real pregnancy test to prove that it was indeed negative. Trust me, with the morning sickness i had right away, I knew when I was pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment